Okay, so, when I started this I told my students that they didn’t have to do the weekends because it’s a school assignment, and I can’t assign them homework on the weekend. So, days 16 & 17 are weekend days. To be honest, Day 16 – Bullet Your Entire Day – blargh. Now, a comic book writer that I admire very much, Kelly Sue DeConnick uses a bullet point journal and does this every day and it seems to help her and many of her followers/fans be more productive. I’m not there. (in the spirit of Trinity School) Yet.
I didn’t get to Day 15 because I was packing for a trip GQ and I are currently on with The Girls. Oldest Child and GQ ran the Disney Dark Side Half Marathon down in Orlando, and so we used that as an opportunity to go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I was packing and getting ready and didn’t have time to do “Three Pet Peeves”. Let me tell you right now, there are a lot more than three, but in the spirit of the thing, I’m going to stick with that. I’m also going to include Sunday, the 17th in there because it’s a really good one, “A Quote You Try to Live By”, and being that today is the 18th, I’m going to get back on track and do that one. They’re just all three going to be wrapped up in one package. It might be long. You might even be, TLDR, and well, not going to blame you for that, but I’ve gained some followers recently, I may even be up to EIGHT, so…there, I guess?
Three Pet Peeves
1. Being unaware of the people around you while you’re driving your car.
– I know, it’s easy to forget the world exists outside of your car. You’re in there safe and alone. You can pick your nose, you can sing out loud to your bad music choices, it’s just you and your automobile. But here’s the thing: THERE ARE STILL LOTS AND LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE BEING AFFECTED BY YOUR DRIVING! La lala lala…I’m going really slow or I’m stopping for no reason. My blinker is just an option. I’m changing lanes because I forgot to when I was supposed to. La lala lala. Do me a favor, please. Pull your head out of the cloud, take a look in your rearview mirror and to the left and right of you. There are lots and lots of other drivers behind you and beside you that are shooting visual daggers at you, cursing you and your inability to drive well, and feeling that tightening pressure as their pulse quickens and their blood pressure rises. Just be aware of other people on the road and have some common sense. That’s a lot to ask, I know, but I think we’ll all be a lot better off for it.
2. Grammar Idiots
– “loose” is not the same as “lose”. They’re, there, and their are really, really, really easy to tell apart. I’m going to leave it at those two.
3. Putting the Ice Trays Back in the Freezer Empty
– Our ice maker is broken. I like ice in almost all of my drinks. I mean, I really like ice. I like ice so much that my in-laws buy bags of ice to keep at their house when I come visit. So, when I go to get ice from the ice trays and there are empty ice trays in the freezer, it definitely falls into the Pet Peeve category. Fill it up. It doesn’t take long. It might make a little watery mess as you take it from the sink to the freezer, but that’s okay. I’m better with water on the floor than no ice.
Day 17 – A Quote [Quotation – see Pet Peeve #2] I Try to Live By
“I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells” Dr. Seuss. If you no me at all then you know that I certainly like nonsense. Perhaps more than my fair share of it. I like Seuss’ quotation because I find it to be completely true. When things are nonsensical you have to really prick up your mind to try to make sense of it all. You may not be able to make sense of it, but it will definitely get the old noggin moving trying to figure it out. Sometimes the nonsense doesn’t make me happy, and I would be apt to say that I don’t like it, but most of the time, 9 times out of 10 I do like it.
Day 18 – My Favorite Color & Why
I would be tempted to say that my favorite color is orange. I like orange. I like it a lot. My car in high school and college was orange and it totally fit me as a person. Whenever I do those Color Tests, I’m an orange. Recently though, I’ve become more blue. Blue was my first favorite color. When I was maybe 9, my mom told me that I could get my room painted whatever color I wanted. “Really?” She said yes, so I chose royal blue. It was so awesome. So, now I’m back to blue being my favorite color. Orange is a manic color and for a number of years I was pretty manic. Blue can be both exciting and subdued and I like that. I need that. I am not often subdued, but sometimes it’s necessary, and I find that blue can fill that need. It can also be awesome, like my royal blue bedroom walls. It can happy or sad. It can fit the mood that it needs to fit, and that is why blue is now my favorite color.
Well, that was fun. I am going to get back on track of doing this daily tomorrow after we return from Orlando. It has been a great trip! Lots of fun to be had at Universal. Another favorite Dr. Seuss quotation is, “From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere,” perfectly sums up this trip.